Comhlámh are recruiting a Training and Education Project Officer
Job Title: Training and Education Project Officer
Reports to: Programme Manager
Location: 12 Parliament Street, Dublin 2
Comhlámh is the Irish Association of Development Workers and Volunteers. Our mission is to foster good practice and critical engagement in volunteering and action for development. Comhlámh is committed to being the leading independent voice and source of information on volunteering for development in Ireland, and the coordinator and advocate for good practice in this area. We work to promote and support volunteers and development workers to critically engage in volunteering and action for development, and to create societal and attitudinal change on development issues.
We are seeking to recruit a Training and Education Project Officer, who will play a key role in enabling our staff, key stakeholders and members to achieve our aims and objectives. The ideal candidate will have a background in international development, strong experience of working to develop and deliver non-formal training and education programmes, and excellent communication and analytical skills. S/he will have worked or volunteered in the global south, have an in-depth understanding of good practice in volunteering and experience of using consultative and participative approaches to training development. This is a 4-day a week role, which will be subject to ongoing sustained funding. It is offered on the Project Officer scale which on a 4 day basis ranges from €24,000 up to €36,000. The contract will be a contract of indefinite duration and be subject to a six month probation.
Please apply with a covering letter (max one page) outlining how you meet the criteria and a CV to email@example.com, entering PO –Training and Education in the subject line and the source from which you heard of the vacancy.
Closing date for receipt of applications is Friday September 23rd at 17:00 GMT.
Interviews will take place on Thursday, September 29th. Shortlisted candidates will be notified by Tuesday 26th and will be asked to prepare a brief presentation.
Description: The Training and Education Project Officer is responsible for developing and delivering a range of tailored training courses that aim to build the capacity of volunteer sending agencies (VSAs), volunteers and other key stakeholders, including third level institutions. This post involves evening and weekend work. The post also involves working as part of a team and feeding into the work of Comhlámh in the implementation of its strategic and operational plans.
The Training and Education Project Officer will lead in the development, design, delivery and evaluation of comprehensive, needs-based training that supports both organisations and individuals to ensure good practice throughout all stages of the volunteer life-cycle (pre-departure, in-country and post-return). Specifically, the responsibilities will include the following:
- Co-ordinating and facilitating training courses and modules to support volunteers pre-decision, pre-departure and upon return, using creative development education methodologies;
- Working in collaboration with volunteer sending agencies (VSAs) and other partners to design/review core training modules and courses for volunteers which meet the needs of the sector. This includes the maintenance and ongoing review of training manuals;
- Strengthening relationships with emerging stakeholders, especially third level institutions and the health and education sectors, through the development and delivering of tailored training courses;
- Coordinating, training and briefing a pool of high quality and experienced facilitators to support the delivery of our training programmes;
- Developing and delivering Training of Trainer Programmes for VSA representatives on pre-departure preparation of volunteers;
- Working with the Volunteer Quality Project Officer and the Volunteer Engagement Project Officer to identify, develop and deliver appropriate peer support and capacity building initiatives for VSA representatives;
- Coordinating, delivering and reviewing Comhlámh’s courses on global justice and activism for the general public, e.g. Trade Justice, Be the Change, Skills in Development Education, Introduction to the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Supporting existing and new Comhlámh member groups in their work;
B: PROGRAMME DEVELOPMENT AND DELIVERY
- Researching capacity development requirements of volunteers and volunteer sending agencies and incorporating this into the ongoing development of needs-based courses, as well as identifying potential sources of funding to support course development;
- Identifying and responding to emerging training needs of other key stakeholders, including through the continued development of tailored training courses for students undertaking medical electives;
- Development, facilitation and evaluation of online training courses for potential volunteers, including the ongoing roll-out and review of the existing pre-decision making course and the development and delivery of a new pre-departure course;
- Identifying opportunities for future online course development and developing proposals for their roll-out;
- Conducting evaluations of all training activities, preparing pre- and post-training tools to measure outcomes and contributions to impact, and collating and analysing information to feed into programme reporting;
- Supporting the training and education function by staying abreast of international literature and good practice in volunteer training, preparation and support.
C: OTHER DUTIES
- Providing information for reporting purposes on a monthly and quarterly basis and maintaining database records;
- Ensuring that activities are managed within budget where responsibility has been delegated for specific activities and report on expenditure as required;
- Representing Comhlámh at agreed events, networks and partnerships;
- Inputting to planning, funding proposals, evaluations and reports;
- Contributing towards the effective working of the organisation through consultation, support and shared working;
- Supervising interns and student placements, as required;
- Work within the stated Mission, Aims and Objectives, and Policies and Procedures of Comhlámh.
The Training and Education Project Officer will carry out such alternative duties as may be assigned by the Line Manager, following consultation, from time to time.
Comhlámh has an Equal Opportunities policy and all employees are expected to develop an understanding of and commitment to equal opportunities.
|Knowledge, Skills and Disposition||